So school is in full swing, activities are piling on top of each other and the calendar is becoming your worst enemy. Let’s be honest, we could all use a little help right about now!
Take some time this weekend to get ahead with Jackie Brown’s Mom on a Mission freezer recipe – sesame chicken. She is a master freezer cook who wants to inspire, help, and bless you with her recipes. So make a little extra to put away for another day. Pair the sesame chicken with a spinach salad and ice cream or apple nachos with homemade caramel sauce and you have a full blown, delicious meal!
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup without high fructose
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional – doesn’t really add heat, just adds more flavor)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thighs or tenderloins would be fine too)
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Place all ingredients in the crock pot on low 4-6 hours until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken last hour and shred or cut into bite size pieces. Garnish with sesame seeds and/or additional red pepper flakes if desired.
- Dissolve cornstarch and water in a gallon size freezer bag.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except chicken and sesame seeds.
- Seal and combine thoroughly by gently kneading ingredients.
- Add chicken and check it to make sure there’s plenty of liquid to keep it from getting dry.
- The sauce is excellent served over brown rice or whole grain noodles.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 T. white vinegar
- 2 T. sesame seeds
- 1 T. poppy seeds
- 1 T. finely chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 9 oz. fresh spinach, trimmed
- 4 cups strawberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- Place first eight ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid; shaking well. Refrigerate at least an hour.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Shake dressing over salad, toss.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place first three ingredients in a heavy-duty medium saucepan.
- Bring to a rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. After it comes to a full boil, whisk continuously for one minute.
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract.
- Cool and use with your favorite recipes. Store in a pint size mason jar in the refrigerator. Reheat if desired.
- Prepare peeled and sliced apples on a plate. Drizzle caramel sauce, granola, mini-chocolate chips, chopped nuts, and/or crushed graham crackers.
Jackie Brown is a mom of four sharing easy family recipes with her readers at her blog Mom on a Mission. You will find healthy, delicious, tried and true freezer cooking recipes that allow her to spend more time with her family and less time in the kitchen. Her time and energy saving methods help thousands of people create mouth-watering meals, sides, snacks and desserts in minutes by creating foods in bulk and freezing.
|Posted On: September 18, 2014 Sunday Suppers||2 Comments|