FALL!!! I love it because I crave comfort food. And you can’t have hot steamy comfort food in the heat of summer. Of course I am in Florida and it still feels like summer but psychologically this midwest girl thinks it’s fall. So I just have to crank up the air conditioning.
In any case, this is a Merrill family favorite because I served it a lot! Straight from one of my favorite kitchen tools, the slow cooker. I have combined it with a dessert from our favorite fall sport–football. I tried to make these Cocoa Rice Krispies football shaped. Don’t judge my artistic ability! Go Gators and enjoy your Sunday Supper with your family.
- 4-5 Chicken Breasts (bone-in)
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth (32 oz. box)
- 1 10 oz. bag of matchstick carrots
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- Salt to taste
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Pour in 4 cups of broth to cover chicken and add carrots, onion, celery, and bay leaf. Cover and cook until the chicken is falling off the bones, 3-4 hours on the high heat setting or 6-7 hours on the low heat setting. Remove chicken from the cooker and set aside to cool. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and bones and shred the meat in to large pieces.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Pour in the broth, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly, until smooth and thickened, (8-10) minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove onion and bay leaf and discard. Place chicken back in slow cooker and set the temperature to high.
- Make the dumplings: In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, parsley and ½ teaspoon salt. Add the butter and, using your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture has the texture of small peas. Gently stir in the milk and egg to form a sticky batter. Drop heaping spoonfuls of the dough into simmering sauce and chicken, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the dumplings look fluffy, about 30 minutes in the slow cooker.
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 10-ounce package of marshmallows
- 6 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies®
- 1 Tube of white frosting
- M&M’s (pick your favorite team’s colors!)
- In a large pot, melt the butter on low.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring until completely melted. Remove the marshmallow mixture from the heat once melted.
- Stir in the Cocoa Rice Krispies® cereal so all pieces are coated. If adding M&M’s to the mixture, do so now. This gets sticky!
- While letting the mixture cool, butter your hands. Shape the mixture into footballs.
- Decorate the footballs with the white icing imitating the stitching on a football.