I love asking loving, married couples their secret for a happy marriage. Many times they’ll just look at each other and smile. But there have been other times when I’ve gotten some really good advice. The discovery I made was that there was an interesting commonality in the advice — it usually has something to do with attitude.
Most words to inspire a happy marriage inspire us to have a better attitude about our spouse, our relationship, and our life together. My husband, Mark, sets a really high bar for himself. He is the consummate overachiever. When we first married I would look at him and say, “don’t we have the best marriage?” He had a hard time agreeing. In his eyes nothing was the best, everything could be improved. But over time he started saying it to me. We would both smile in appreciation because as imperfect as our marriage was, we chose to see it as the best. It was all about attitude.
It is cliche to think a one-liner, a quote, can make your marriage happy. But it can be the impetus to change your heart and changing your heart is a start. Below are a few of my favorite reminders that marriage is good, our marriage is good! I will be praying they inspire you, too.
1. “Motto for the bride and groom: We are a work in progress with a lifetime contract.” – Phyllis Koss
2. “Choose your love, then love your choice.” – Unknown
3. “A happy marriage is the world’s best bargain.” – O.A. Battista
4. “True love isn’t found, it’s built. One day. One kiss. One conversation at a time.” – Maggie Reyes
5. “My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me.” – Jon Bon Jovi
6. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.” – Winnie the Pooh
Interested in some parenting quotes for your life? iMom has many!
What’s your favorite marriage quote? We might add it to our list!