Mother Son Bucket List
It’s easy to fall into a mindset of just going through the motions. It’s easy to go through the days without really seeing or caring or experiencing. It’s easy to just get by to the next day without focusing on the moments it takes to get there.
As parents, how do we get out of this funk? How do we make the most of the time we have with our kids? I answered those questions three weeks ago with a mother daughter bucket list. Today I tackled the same list but for our boys!
Moms, I want to encourage you to create a bucket list with your son. Fill your days together with plans, with dreams, with adventure! Find things you two love and are passionate about, and then chase recklessly after those dreams!
To help get you started, here are my ideas:
- Go rock climbing (real or facility).
- Plan a fishing trip.
- Wake him up in the middle of the night and go to an all night diner for breakfast.
- Plant a tree or grow vegetables in the backyard.
- Make a model airplane.
- Visit a history museum.
- Paint his room.
- Build a bird house.
- Take surfing lessons.
- Teach him how to be a gentleman and how to treat a woman.
- Take a spontaneous, weekend road trip.
- Go canoeing.
- Go camping.
- Create a paper-mache volcano and blow it up.
- Memorize a book of the Bible together.
- Go on a missions trip.
- Run a 5k together.
- Pick out, buy and train a puppy.
- Buy him his first suit.
- Visit a college in every city you ever visit together.
- Go to one professional game for every sport you can think of.
- Look through old black and white photos of your relatives.
- Serve at a soup kitchen or shelter together.
- Stay in a cabin on a lake for a week.
- Babysit someones children for a weekend.
- Go horseback riding.
- Go snorkeling in the ocean.
- Go snow skiing/snow boarding.
- Go water skiing/wake boarding.
- Fly a kite.
- Try archery.
- Go zip lining.
- Read a classic together—The Lord of the Rings, Tom Sawyer, etc
- Make your own pizza from scratch.
- Create your own barbecue specialty.
- Create your own kitchen sink cookie recipe.
- Start an investment account.
- Watch the entire Star Wars collection.
- Teach him to iron and sew on buttons.
- Take a trip to where his favorite movie was filmed.
- Take your father and your son somewhere special.
- Do something your son has always wanted to do.
- Camp in a tent in the backyard—or a state park. (from Rebecca Gonzalez)
- Watch a meteor shower. (from Glenna Jackson)
- Visit local, state, or national historical sites. (from Amy)
- Visit older family members and ask about their younger years. (from Amy)
- Build a giant toothpick sculpture. (from Heather)
- Go out for special dessert. (from Heather)
This list is just a start. What have I missed? Tell me below and I will add it on!
Additional Bucket Lists:
|Author: Susan Merrill Posted: November 13, 2013 Love This, Parenting||45 Comments|