Last week, I visited Emily at Samford University. She is loving being a senior there and has big plans for this year. To make those plans, she and her room mates made a “Senior Bucket List” and pinned it to the fridge.
The list was fun to read and, at the same time, a kick in the gut. Time just skips away from us. I need to make moments happen with my girls, but it takes really careful planning because they are in college and living in different cities. I realized that I needed a bucket list to make sure I captured some moments with my kids. So I took a stab at this one and a Mother-Son Bucket List.
It’s a list with no age limit and no deadline. Personalize it to fit your own interests and your girls’ ages. Just remember: It’s not about how many items you cross off, but rather that you complete them together. So get to it!
Mother-Daughter Bucket List
- Develop a signature family recipe.
- See a Broadway play.
- Get in the car and spontaneously drive somewhere.
- Take a mother-daughter trip abroad.
- Have a mother-daughter photo shoot. Include Grandma in the photoshoot to make it extra special (from Megan B)
- Bury a time capsule.
- Complete a physical challenge: climb a mountain, hike a trail, run/walk a marathon, etc.
- Write a list of qualities that your daughter should look for in a man.
- Serve at a local shelter.
- Plan an outing for every holiday: pumpkin patch, Christmas tea, etc.
- Get a free makeover at a department store.
- Do a Bible study together.
- Plant a garden with your favorite flowers.
- Go to a weekend arts/crafts class.
- Make homemade ice cream.
- See your favorite sports team play live.
- Have a classic movie marathon.
- Go on a special shopping spree.
- Play in the rain.
- Redecorate your daughters room.
- Learn how to change a tire. (Hopefully not because you have a flat!)
- Explore the local places you’ve never been.
- Get up early and watch the sunrise.
- See each of your favorite bands together.
- Go shopping and try on outfits you would never think of purchasing.
- Have karaoke night.
- Update and paint a room in your house.
- Visit every local museum.
- Have a spa weekend: at-home or out and about.
- Visit a big city for a weekend.
- Do something only your daughter has always wanted to do.
- Do something only your mom has always wanted to do.
- Do something that challenges your fears together. If you have different fears to overcome switch off and be a support for one another… Skydiving anyone?
- Give Grandma a surprise. Take her out spontaneously. Double Mother-Daughter Day! (from Elaine Wu see below)
- Look at baby photos of both of you and reminisce together; share ancestor stories/favorite memories. (from Anita see below)
- Lay in the grass in the summer together and making pictures out of the clouds. (from Stephanie B)
- My daughter and I did pottery together. She loved it and now wants to start a collection (from Patricia)
- Test drive or rent your dream car (that you have no intention of buying) together. (from Ashli)
- How about dancing? Just turn on music at-home and dance until you drop. Or play old songs and show her how to do the moves :). (from Stephanie Fuller)
- Go out and get a special dessert together. (from Heather)
- Start a family cookbook to save all the special family recipes and pass them on to the next generation (don’t forget to cook your way through it too!) (from Nj Mom)
- Create a surprise dinner for the men (father, brother, boyfriend, husband, etc.) in your life, while they are out on a father/son adventure. Pick a theme; Mexican Fiesta, Summer Picnic, Fabulous Fondue, etc. Light candles, share memories, be their waitresses…make it spectacular! (from Angela B)
Add to this list…Tell me what’s on your mother/daughter bucket list?
Additional Bucket Lists: